Tuesday, November 12, 2013

DIY Upcycled Shoe Cubby


I had a problem in my home.  A big, practical, problem.  With a family of 5 soon to be 6, we have a lot of shoes.  A LOT of shoes, and inevitably they always ended up strewn across the floor of our small entrance-way.  Even if I could get my kids to actually straighten them every time they came in the door, it still just looked messy and cluttered.  I hated it.

We don`t have a closet close to the door where the mess of shoes could be stashed, and definitely no room for a beautiful mudroom complete with individual lockers and cubbies for each family member - so I had to come up with something different.


Awhile back I had purchased some used, upper kitchen cabinets off of Kijiji.  The larger ones I ended up using in my studio renovation, but I still had 2 small upper cabinets leftover (the type you would typically find above a fridge or stove), sitting purposeless in my garage.  The more I looked at them, the more I thought about my shoe problem and saw a solution.

I began the same way I did with the other cabinets I had used in my studio.  I dressed up the flat doors with a little bit of trim (see tutorial HERE), painted them out, and then added these legs from Ikea to the bottoms:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80211923/#/00211922

Then I created custom cushions for the tops, tossed in a throw pillow, and voila!  I had solved my shoe problem and created a little bit of seating in my entrance way!


Super easy, super effective = a super happy me!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Upcycled projects are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shoe storage from Bizarkdeal for my shoes. Easy to setup and use right away. I don't own a lot of shoes, but what I do own becomes a big, annoying little pile in my closet. This fits perfect in a somewhat small closet without taking up a lot of room - I use the top part as an extra shelf too, putting some shoe boxes and other little annoying things to clear up the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for making this astounding article, informative and knowledgeable!! We have so much to learn from this. Anyway, If you are interested and looking for
    reupholstery services Singaporeyou may visit our website. You can also check our available services to offer. Thank you and More power!!

    ReplyDelete